Saturday, December 20, 2008

Fun Tip for Little Cookie Bakers

When I was growing up my mom always made sugar cookies with us for every holiday. Christmas cookies were always my favorite though because we got to paint the cookies. Now that I have kids of my own, we carry on a lot of the same traditions. This year my children got to paint their sugar cookies, and they had so much fun I thought I'd share the idea with you! All you have to do is mix an egg yolk (just the yoke) with some food coloring and viola! Cookie paint! Then after the kids cut out all the cookies they painted them and added sprinkles before we baked them. The "paint" gives a pretty glossy look to the cookies (like an egg wash would to bread etc) and don't worry, it doesn't add any flavor. :)

Here are a few pic of my little chefs with their cookies. They each made 2 dozen and proudly displayed them for a photo.

See the cute aprons they are wearing? My mom made 4 coordinating Christmas aprons for my children and I to use for cookie baking this year! (She is such a talented lady! THANKS MOM!) They look so darn cute in them, especially my little guy, who was napping during cookie baking. My mom is going to be opening an etsy shop in the new year, so I'll let you all know when you can get some of her cute aprons (the retro ones are to die for!) for yourselves.

Merry Christmas and happy baking everyone!

No comments: